13.8. Preparing Learners for Proctored Exams
To prepare learners for a proctored exam, follow these guidelines.
- Emphasize that learners must be aware of the requirements before taking the
exam, and that some of the requirements might take some preparation. The
proctoring software has minimum bandwidth requirements and learners must
have a consistent connection of 500 kbps or more.
- Well before the exam, provide learners with information about the grading
policy in your course and the requirements for earning academic credit.
- Explain what proctored exams are, and provide learners with links to
Taking Timed and Proctored Exams in the edX Help Center.
- Communicate the rules for proctored exams, including the Proctored exam
rules and requirements article in the edX Help Center. as well as
any specific rules for a particular exam. For information about creating
specific rules, see Specify Exam Rules and Exceptions.
13.8.1. The Learner Experience of Proctored Exams
For detailed information about the way learners experience proctored exams,
including the steps that they must take to install the proctoring software,
scan the exam environment, complete the exam, and receive a score, see Taking
Timed and Proctored Exams in the edX Help Center.
13.8.2. Practice Proctored Exams
You can create an ungraded practice proctored exam for your course so that
learners can become familiar with the process of installing proctoring
software and performing the required checks ahead of time. Learners complete
the following steps for a practice proctored exam.
- Install the proctoring software.
- Complete identity checks.
- Complete a room scan.
- Complete any example problems in the exam.
When you create a practice proctored exam, keep the following information in
- Practice proctored exams are visible to all learners, regardless of
- Practice exams do not affect credit eligibility and do not include
monitoring by the proctoring software.
- Learners who complete practice exams must complete the same software
installation and environment scan steps again when they take an actual
For information about how to create a practice proctored exam, see Create a Proctored Exam or Practice Proctored Exam.